Where’s Taylor Swift when you need her? Yes, I’m referring to her song “you need to calm down“. It’s no secret that right now is a extremely difficult, stressful and anxious time for everyone. Everywhere you look you’re getting mixed messages.
Related post- self care while in quarantine
Tips for keeping calm in stressful conditions
Our goal here is to reduce the stress we are under. It’s highly unlikely that all stress will go away but we can at least help manage it. You want to avoid behaviors that will cause burnout.
I understand wanting to help people but you need to take care of yourself as well. As the old saying goes “you can’t pour from a empty cup”.
Related post- self care ideas for when you are sick or injured.
a couple tips
- Educate yourself but don’t over educate. So what do I mean by that? You want to be aware of the situation at hand but at the same time you don’t want to scare yourself.
- Practice your breathing. If you are able to you want to take deep breaths in through your nose, hold for at least 10 seconds and exhale through your mouth.
- Be prepared. Preperation for the task a head, whether that be creating a presentation or stocking up (not hoarding) for self isolation.
- If you find your mind racing practice your grounding techniques. If you find things are becoming stressful or “to much” practice grounding.
- Limit Caffeine. As a self proclaimed Dr Pepper addict this one hurts my soul. Consuming large amounts of caffeine can put you on edge and make you jumpy.
- Take things one day at a time. Focus on what needs to be accomplished today. This way your “to do” list is smaller and less overwhelming/stressful.
- Focus on the big picture. Sometimes in getting caught up in all the little things you lose sight of the big picture. Think about why it is you’re doing what you’re doing. What are you trying to accomplish.
- Keep things in perspective. Think along the lines of “will this matter 5 years, 5 weeks or even 5 days” from now?
Okay, these 8 techniques will help you if you get into a stressful situation. Remember that you are not alone. We all have good days and bad days. What’s that quote? “You can’t see a rainbow without a storm?” Something like that. Haha
Let me know how you’re holding up down in the comments below. Don’t be afraid to reach out!
Till next time,