What do you do on a bad mental health day? Those days when even just getting out of bed feels like the world’s biggest task.
Here are 10 self care ideas for bad mental health days.
Related post- self care for when you are sick or injured
10 Self care ideas for bad days
Related post- the ugly side of self care
- Wash your face. If it’s a day where you just don’t have the energy I suggest using a makeup wipe. (Random tip: buy makeup wipes on sale (store brand work just fine) and keep them in your bathroom or by your bed. This way you have them ready to go when you need them).
- Wash your hair. If this isn’t possible do NOT beat yourself up. (Personal story: I have gone 3 weeks without showering or washing my hair). If it’s just not possible for you that’s okay, you can try again the day after.
- Put on clean clothes. You don’t want to be in dirty clothes. It never feels nice, even if you just whip on a clean nightgown or a pair of sweats and a tshirt. (Reminder: If you can do nothing else, change your underwear. The last thing you want to have is a infection to worry about).
- Brush your teeth. It will sound really gross to some but this is one I struggle with. I don’t enjoy the sensation of the brush on teeth. It’s something I’m working on it.
- Eat something healthy. Maybe you make a smoothie, or drink a V8. Or maybe you make eggs and toast. Something small is better than nothing at all.
- Get some fresh air. Even if it just means you stand or sit by an open window. Sunshine is best, vitamin D will help you feel happier. (A library by me has lights that mimic the sun. If the outside isn’t your cup of tea, check into that option).
Related post- Self Care ideas while Quarantined
here’s more suggestions
- Try yoga or meditation. No this is not hippie advice, it can actually help center you. Doing something that focuses on your breathing can help calm you, plus stretching is really good for your muscles.
- Practice mindfulness. Work on being self aware. What are your triggers? Did you talk or text someone today? Did you hydrate? (Water, herbal tea, Gatorade).
- Write or color. Journaling can help get thoughts and feelings out. Adult coloring books are also very popular with some. I’ve been told they are great for distraction and relaxation. (Honestly I don’t see it, but that’s just me. They drive me nuts, haha).
- Take your medication. If you are on daily medications do not skip them. That could make things worse and you don’t need that.
What helps you?
What are some things you do or can do that help you during a bad mental health day? Let me know down in the comments below.
What would you like to see on this blog? What would be helpful to you?
Till next time,