I read a blog post today that brought to mind self care and what some persons consider to be self care. Jenni from the Housewife Hustle did a blog post today about the realistic side to self care.
See Jenni’s post here. In it Jenni is referring to self care and how what’s usually referred to as self care involves bubble baths or buying new clothes.
I also previously did a post about self care post.
I wanted to mention a couple of the less glamorous self care activities that we are required to do each day. It’s all fine and dandy to take a bubble bath or watch Netflix, but this post is here to mention the less pretty stuff.
So what exactly am I talking about when I say less glamorous? For instance it could be something as simple as taking your daily medication(s).
5 Non glamorous self care examples
- Going to work. Yes, I know. You’re booing me right now, but seriously doing your job whatever it may be does help pay the bills.
- Budgeting. Okay, I think I can hear your eyes rolling at me. It definitely brings a lot less stress if you know what you have to spend.
- Housekeeping (chores). Okay, …… is anyone still reading this? Lol. Stay with me here, you can’t eat (affordably) if all your dishes are dirty.
- Eating healthy. I’m sure I’m not the only person that has told you in your life that your body needs fruits and vegetables. There are loads of great recipes on Pinterest or even Google. Roasted veggies are nice and sweet, plus delicious.
- Busting a move. No I don’t specifically mean dancing but if that’s something you enjoy than be my guest. Your body needs to move, it helps with blood flow, endorphins and I’m pretty sure I don’t have to say that blood clots are not cute.
Why am I being such a buzzkill?
Well friends I’m glad you asked. Like Jenni I have noticed that the self care “movement” seems to be geared towards consumerism.
That’s a first, the use of “consumerism” on this blog I mean. Haha. Everyone talks about the pretty stuff, reading a book, having a bath, going for a night out or weekend getaway.
Few people are sharing self care activities that most people are required to do daily. Not that I blame them. I can see why no one is. It’s not fun. Haha.
So why, if it’s boring like I previously stated am I posting about it? Honestly, because its a necessary part of life. These are daily activities most people have to do.
We all know someone had to be the buzzkill. Looks like it was me. Haha, well if I didn’t lose all of you let me know in the comments some unglamorous care you do on a regular basis.
Till next time my Phat friends